Saturday 17 March 2012

The Queen has left

Our landlord is an absolute gem. He was raised in the house he rents us and he raised his kids in it too.  His shed stands like a living museum full of things from his past that may soon have place in the future.  Last week, within minutes of me showing him the swarm of bees I had found on my garden's fence, he had them in a box he had easily found in his shed.  Yesterday he arrived with the necessary partitions and discovered they had gone. It felt like the death of something.


The Queen didn't like it anymore and moved on so they have all followed; it felt like an accusation from the universe. I hadn't primed the kids and paid enough attention to the beehive, the garden wasn't loved enough....I accepted the swarm as a positive omen, now I must accept the loss in a personal way. I had not fully experienced the bee hive as the gold it was.  My life had gone on business as usual and this 'omen' hadn't really changed anything and the now the queen was gone.
We don't like to hear each other 'beating ourselves up', "don't be so hard on yourself".  We are weighed down with guilt in our culture and don't like to hear each other getting bogged down in it but guilt aside, it's worth considering where we haven't connected, so we can deepen that connection.
Once I accepted the possible reasons the Queen had left, I felt more desire to shape my life around the garden, making it more of a priority, revaluing it and helping it to grow with love and gratitude.
Once I accepted my place in the scheme of things, I felt the dryness of the land around echoed in the intense flowering of the Karri trees that had brought so much activity from the bees in the first place.  I remembered other people's oservations about this bumper season of bees but now with the wider question,  is this a symptom of pre-drought conditions?
Can we as culture take on that nature gives us warning signs gently and even sweetly, at first? As an individual,  I can open myself up to communion with nature when I am prepared to see the failings of my own life in the wider context of how our culture operates with nature.
I can't elicit any change other than that within my own family group. The place where I am Queen is in my family.  That is the real gold, the honey of life.

Connected by MOTOBLUR

No comments:

Post a Comment